Sania speaks on Tennis, movies and marriage

posted under by NSmurthy
Playing on the most competitive turf after being operated upon for a wrist injury requires a lot of guts and gumption. And the poster girl of Indian tennis, Sania Mirza, has it in plenty. Although her performance at Wimbledon may not have grabbed headlines, for India’s highest ranked woman tennis star, it was the decision to play that was more challenging. Analyzing her performance at Wimbledon, Sania tells, “I’m still sometime away from playing my best game. Under the circumstances, it was important for me to still give my best at Wimbledon.”
She was seeded 32nd, does she have any strategy to break into the top 30? Sania answers, “There’s been just one main strategy ever since I picked up a tennis racket and that is to work hard.” What she’s enjoying in London? Sania says in a matter-of-fact manner, “During Grand Slams, all my energy is focussed on the game and I have had very little time to do anything else.” Has news that the Indian government may soon release a postage stamp with her photograph overwhelmed her? She admits, “I have read about this in the newspapers. I just play tennis to bring glory to my country. But it has not been my endeavour to see my picture on a postage stamp.”
When Amitabh Bachchan comes calling on the glam girl of Indian tennis, there’s bound to be a buzz. Talking about the meeting, which happened in a Mumbai studio, she says, “It was a privilege to meet Mr Bachchan and I thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful experience.” Is she paying heed to the reports, which claim that she’s doing a film? “These reports are totally baseless! That’s all I will say about them,” she fumes. And is one of the most eligible girls in the country planning to settle down? “Yes, I plan to get married when I am through with tennis,” she returns.

top